Saturday, May 18, 2013

Daily Draw: DEC VT78

Today's drawing is a Digital Equipment Corp. VT78, or rather just the terminal from a VT78. It's always been a favorite of mine in terms of looks, and I wanted to dress it up a little bit.

The VT78 was primarily meant to be used as a word processor, and typically ran WPS-8. It ran a derivative of the OS/8 operating system which was originally designed for the PDP-8 mainframe computer. However the hardware IO was different, and the software that ran on the more popular PDP-8 always had to be modified to work on the VT78. The VT78 was also slower than its big brother, and this combined with its lack of interoperability meant it soon fell to the dominant IBM PC and XT systems.

From Wikipedia: "Introduced in July 1977, this machine was built into a VT52 case and had an Intersil 6100 microprocessor running at 2.2 MHz. The standard configuration included an RX02 dual 8-inch floppy disk unit which was housed in the pedestal the computer rested on."

2 comments:

1. Wow, that's WAY TOO MUCH information! ;) Now you should do another drawing of what it looks like 50 years from now, with perhaps a tree growing through it. -- Nscold

ReplyDelete
  2. This might be the first in a series of old computers "let out to pasture" so to speak. :) So I'll totally do some more.

See you on Saturday Northy. ;)

ReplyDelete